Sunday, September 28, 2008

San Simeon, Morro Bay, Cojo, and Santa Barbara




I have to apologize for my terrible blogging lately, the cruising lifestyle has really taken hold. Sitting here with a drink in hand looking at the Santa Barbara sunset, I had to force myself to catch up on my blogging duty. The last six days or so have been wonderful, and the whole crew is really beginning to get into the swing of things (although all of us could use some more sailing, 4 knots of wind just isn't cutting it).


We spent the night in San Simeon with a view of Hearst Castle lighting up the hillside. We woke up to soupy fog, but suprisingly warm weather. We pulled down the kayaks and dad dropped me off on shore to head off on a run. While I ran (and got kicked off of Hearst property by security), my parents took a paddle through the fog, into zero visibility and a world of their own. Our perfect timing put me back at the beach right as they pulled on to take a walk. Unfortunately I missed my dads not so graceful ride in on the swell, but I was witness to his sopping wet shorts and shoes. Getting back to the boat was a bit of a task with two kayaks and three people. Kat had given dad a lesson on kayak manuevers, so she opted to drop him off at the boat and come back with his kayak for me. Well, perhaps she spoke too soon, because as she rode in the swell, her kayak tipped and sent her all the way in, and she got nailed in the back with kayak 2. Being her, she laughed til she peed (well, I'm going to say she did, we couldn't tell because she was already soaked). We finally got back, rinsed off, and took off to Morro Bay in the fog.


Because of two days of thick fog and low visibility, I have zero wildlife stories. Morro Bay was as dramatic of an entry as you can have with the towering rock welcoming you in. We spent some time with Viva and SueBee, and I FINALLY got some kid time thanks to Nathan who came up to dinner and grocery shop. We pulled out of Morro Bay at the crack of dawn, we think, again it was too foggy to tell. The low winds and reasonable swells around the dreaded Point Conception made the most eventful part of our "scary leg" the sun finally coming out. Cojo was a wonderful anchorage and we got yet another sunset for the books.


Santa Barbara has been gorgeous. We arrived friday and have spent the weekend with sun and land. I've gotten lots of kid time, Todd has been kind enough to let me tag along and has shown me around SB nightlife. He was even a good sport while he spent his day off showing us to boat supply and hardware stores. We've gotten tons of fresh seafood and all the insider tips on the Channel Islands, our next stop. Maybe we'll even be able to catch some Lobster of our own (I'll let my dad do that, theres sharks down there!).


I'll try and get better about my updates, but I'm not promising anything!




No comments: