Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Monterey- Stillwater Cove- and the infamous Big Sur Coast...





Our last day in Monterey was filled with foggy skies and mundane chores. I took a cab into town to find the nearest laundramat and explored the less touristy side of Monterey (which was MUCH better than organizing and reorganizing the "garage"). I was pleasantly surprised to return to company; Joan, Andy, and fam had come by to say hello, seranade us with the "pony on my boat" song, and give us an update on our beloved Hobie. Dad had decided to cook up some of his famous clams for dinner, so we enjoyed our fresh seafood dinner with the Raders.


One of the biggest questions we got before leaving on our trip was "what are you going to do all day on the boat?" I won't pretend that this isn't something I wondered myself, but after a week I'm discovering that there is never enough time. Monday was a rush as I scrambled to fit in my morning coffee, a kayak with my mom through the sea lion giants, and a run all before our noon departure. I couldn't believe that my 7:30am wake-up call would still be cutting things close. We did, however, leave right on time and had a gorgeous 4 hour sail to Stillwater Cove.


Weeding our way through the seaweed forests into the cove nestled right off the Pebble Beach golf course wasn't as scary as Sue had heard. We eased in and anchored within driving distance of the 17th hole (so it was a good thing there were good golfers on the green). The sunset was picturesque. Our fresh red snapper was delctable. All in all it was one of those evenings that made me think I could do this forever.


We pulled out of Stillwater at sunrise to glassy water dancing with pink highlights. It was easily the most beautiful sunrise I have ever seen (and no, it wasn't my first). I pulled a CJ and easily snapped 50 photos. Within an hour I had seen my first Humpback whale wave his tale, and soon after a school of dophins rode our bow. Halfway through the day another humpback spouted less than 20 yds off our starboard side, heading right into our path. My mom was screaming back to my dad to "stop the boat!" while my dad merrily ate his lunch and calmly informed her that the whale not only knew how to swim, but also knew how to avoid getting hit by a boat. We had our first potential overboard attempt, but after the evil eye from my mom and a nervous laugh from dad, all settled. The rest of the day we spent watching more dolphins, sea otters, and millions of jelly fish lead us into San Simeon.


We're all still here, safe, and happy (although maybe feeling a little bit crowded). More soon.

JK&K

1 comment:

jduffield said...

Hey KJ&J:

Thank you so much for inviting Andy, me, his mom and sister for cocktails aboard Kat den rie. Andy's mom and sister really enjoyed the special event. It was one of the highlights of their visit to California. I hope your feet are now enjoying the comfort of your transported shoes and inserts via the Cuellar-Duffield delivery service. It is an under estimate to say that you are enjoying your adventures, and many more to come.

Big hugs to you,


Joan and Andy