Friday, February 27, 2009

Tenacatita

So here we are in Tenacatita. We said goodbye to SueBee and Andanzas and cruised up here with Eager Dreamer. I can’t tell you how much I’ve been looking forward to being able to snorkel and “the aquarium”… so of course we got here at the start of a red tide. Visibility sucks. Regardless, it’s been a pretty eventful few days.

Day 1: We pulled into anchorage and headed into the beach Palapa. My parents got a drink and I was off on a run. I had heard of this trail through the jungle, and decided to have a nice little jungle run… of course I missed the trail. I ended up on the trail next to the mangrove marsh. I was running along, listening to my iPod and not paying much attention, when all of sudden something huge lunge at me from the water. A huge crocodile, mouth open, wanting very much to eat me for dinner, was thwarted (thank god) by the steep bank. In all honesty, I almost pissed myself. I have NEVER run so fast in my life. When I finally reached the bar, crying, I told my parents what had happened. The advice from the other cruisers who overheard: “Oh yeah, you didn’t know there were crocs back there? You gotta be careful.” I no longer run near marshes.

The next day, of course, was the jungle tour on the dinghy with ED. Through the “gated side” of the marshes. I was not pleased, and spend the ride on high croc alert. But it was pretty fun, and we ended in the bay with the snorkeling. Along with the red tide, and because of the cool water current, the sting rays have moved into shallow water. Luckily no one in our group got stung, but we saw quite a few bandages. We snorkeled, had lunch, and cruised back to the boats for a dinner.

Day 3: Dinghy trip to Manzanilla. This was a blast. You take your dinghy about 5 miles across the bay to an adorable little town (my favorite town thus far). We, once again, had our adventure with ED, and had a lovely time looking at B&B’s and snacking on the fresh baked bread and pineapple muffins. The ride back was a bit wetter, but still lots of fun. Of course, the day wouldn’t be complete without pre dinner drinks. Pre dinner drinks turned into dinner (meaning the drinks were dinner, don’t you hate it when that happens?) and the folks got pretty wasted.

Day 4: I kayaked around the point and went for a run. The swells were a little bigger when I finished, so I was happy to see my folks waiting with the dinghy. Unfortunately, while trying to launch the kayak, the swells got the best of me and took my shorts as a souvenir. I will say, getting to ride the two miles back was much easier than paddling. Jay went and played bocce ball on the beach with the guys, and Kat and I cleaned up the boat (ok, mostly kat did the cleaning but I was VERY supportive).

The next couple of days we spent playing beach volleyball, bocce ball, and Mexican Dominos (yes, a bit retirement home-ish), but really fun. We took the KDR across to Manzanilla to provision then over to another day anchorage close to the aquarium to give it another try... it was more clear but we think the fish must have been hiding. Escapade and Endless Summer came in and we had fun catching up with friends. We're off soon, I'll update soon promise!

No comments: