Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Catalina




I think the entire crew can now look back at our rainy day cabin fever and laugh... thank goodness. The weather cleared and we took off for Catalina on Monday, a good 8 hour motorsail. We arrived in Fourth of July cove, a picturesque little cove just west of Two Harbors. Sunny skies, warm water, and lots of fishies and sea life greeted us while we moored (a unique experience on Catalina). We headed into town for a refreshment, one which I didn't get to participate in because of my lack of id (I got ice cream instead, not helping to convince the barender of my legal drinking age). The good news is that I befriended the Harbor Patrol immediately and have spend the last few days getting a guided tour of this little island paradise.



Settling in, we have finally found our first relaxing and tropical spot. Kayaking, hiking, drinking, eating, swimming, and putting around town have kept us pretty busy. Today we had to bribe a diver to get my moms lost readers, my dad had made it to the bottom but failed to recover her favorites. And I have gotten to go snorkeling a couple times... yes, ME snorkeling. In fact, not only did I swim through a field of seaweed today with my newfound friend, I actually swam into a dark cave without crying. I'm apparently getting braver, although I was terrified. We have all even been lucky enough to witness the wonder of phosphoressence (sp?). Although we had planned to head to Avalon today, we have loved our spot so much we decided to stay an extra night and head over tomorrow.



We have been blessed with our good friend Marty's company for the next couple days. He took the ferry over and plans to sail to Avalon with us and keep us entertained. Maybe he'll even cook for us...



More soon!

No comments: