Friday, October 10, 2008

Avalon


So we pulled out of paradise yesterday at about one thirty and headed for Avalon on the east side of Catalina. Our hopes of sailing there were quickly dashed, and we had to disapoint Martin and motor most of the way. All six weather reports we agonized over were wrong, so we are still waiting for some wind. We have found the antithesis to the quaintness of Two Harbors in this port; the whitewashed, tile roofed buildings, paved roads buzzing with golf carts, mission bells on the hour, and a promenade that is a shoppers paradise. Avalon is definately charming in it's own right, but I am a little disapointed that the Harbor Patrol seems to consider a shirt part of their uniform... although I'm not sure I'd want to see these guys without one.


We went to shore to check things out and watch the Dodgers lose (yay!). I've decided that Avalon is the ice cream mecca, we passed a shop on every corner. There is much more to explore today so I will keep adding! Oh, and I forgot to mention... I found a 22 year old friend going on the Haha! She's lovely, I'm stoked.
I thought I would just add onto this one for now... Our day in Avalon was lovely. Kat and I did some window shopping in the morning, while Jay had the most EAGER helper he will ever have help him with some odd jobs around the boat. In fact, I'm pretty sure that he was making up some jobs just to keep Marty busy, but I'm sure he liked getting some stuff done. We had to say goodbye to our guest at 3 o'clock, and the crew walked up to the botanical gardens. There was an absolutely beautiful view, I would show you a picture (I was SO proud I remembered my camera)... unfortunately I hadn't thought to bring my memory card, so it's just another view we'll have to remember. The wind howled all night, making us antsy to sail to the mainland. We headed out and had a wonderful sail to Dana Point to meet Watson... we're actually having our first drink with him now!
More soon...

No comments: