Wednesday, December 3, 2008

BOOBIES!









We headed out of Mazatlan to Isla Isabella at about 6pm, deciding to try a new method of sailing through the night first (as oppose to after a full day of sailing). It worked out relatively well, we dropped anchor at around 9am the next morning and had the day to explore the island. Kat and Jay kayaked into shore to explore and take naps. I napped, snorkeled, explored shore and snorkeled some more (all by myself by the way, I even dove the anchor… I’m getting to be incredibly brave).

Isla Isabella is a tiny little tropical island that is home to a small, seasonal fishing village and more birds than you can imagine. In fact, you know you are getting close to the island when you can see the birds circling from miles out. The most exciting, of course, are the blue and yellow footed boobies (the bird kind of boobies). We arrived at the perfect time, the babies are hatched and these guys were actually entertaining to watch.

We had a pretty rolly anchorage, but the next day Kat went for a hike with double play. She came back with her bird saving story… apparently she rescued a frigate who got stuck in the underbrush. I woke up and went snorkeling to wake up. Just off our boat I saw a gigantic spotted eagle ray, about 5 feet in diameter, swimming about 6 feet below me. I swam with him for a while, it was incredible.

We decided to head out later that day in order to get a flat anchorage, so we pulled into San Blas just before sundown. So far so good… we met the local character Captain Norm, who told us the ins and outs of town. We had coffee and pastries at his home this morning, pretty interesting.

I’ll post more soon!


3 comments:

richard said...

Hey Jay and Fam,

I have been following you around Mexico and it looks like you are having a great time. You won't even miss ski season, no snow yet!

Sasiling day and night around the clock is impressive! I'm proud of you guys.

Still lots of storys about GW and HMS is calling for information. I'm retired and not being paid! Stay in Mexico or the Feds may take your option money back and the boat too. Just kidding I enjoy helping Herb in his quest.

Joe Wynn and I made it all the way to Half Moon Bay in a race! We did not place but we beat some boats to the finish line.

Happy Hollidays, be safe, and keep the storys comming.

Richar A

John and Rosie said...

Kensey, Jay and Kat,

We have been enjoying your blog....what a great family time you are having together.....also, we have been following CJ's "Northern Adventure" you must be very proud of him. See you soon, Rosie and John on Eager Dreamer.

CJ Watt said...

Sound like everyone is having a great time. I wish I could have been there for the dance off between Dad and the Locals, But I can imagine the moves that he used. I am sure that they were stunning. I will talk to you soon, miss you, and love you.

PS: The phone number extension should be correct now.